Thursday 12 December 2013

Evaluation

Before i started this project, i didn't have many skills within music videos due tot he fact I've never mad one before. Considering i was working by myself i thought i managed my time quite well. I have only edited once before and that was a practice in a lesson. I was new to most things but i learnt how to use them and applied them in this project. This includes cameras and editing. Throughout this project i have learnt how to successfully use a mac, Final Cut Pro and a Cannon 600 D.

I instantly thought i wouldn't be able to finish the project in time but i made myself a spreadsheet which showed me what i should do and when to do it. I thought i would have trouble editing but i read a book on Final Cut Pro and researched about it. This helped me a lot, it gave me the knowledge i need to edit my music video successfully. I found this project a lot easier than i thought. I think this was due to the fact that i made a spreadsheet. 

We was told to produce a music video. This includes pre-production & production (Recce checklist, proposal, treatment, outline script, script, actor contract, call sheet). Throughout the production i was director, producer, camera operator, editor, script writer, casting director, location scout, location manager and production manager. I had every responsibility because i decided to work by myself. I had to rely on myself to do everything otherwise it wouldn't get done. The only thing i didn't do is cast in my music video. I believe i managed this well.

I believe i planned my time well in this production. I found this extremely helpful. I thought i handled my camera well. I also improvised with the equipment i had. I used a skateboard to look like a dolly shot. This went well and looks like a dolly shot. I considered myself to be a bad editor, but i feel like i edited this production fairly well. I thought my choice of shots was good. I liked the way they joint together. I also think my i done well with having to cope with faults and come up with a solution. 

I planned to use a panning shot from the sea front to the main character skateboarding but i accidentally nudged the camera causing it to skip forward to quickly. I didn't realise this until i started editing. I improvised and used the shot briefly to the point of just before the skip. I had difficulty with settings on the camera i used causing external shots to look orange and internal shots to look blue. I didn't realise this until editing. Therefore i decided to apply a black and white effect apart from the final shot which is the main character standing on the sea front looking into a sun set. I chose to use the black and white effect to create peace. Then when the final shot is visual its not in black and white to send the message to the audience that the character is happy and found what he loves. My original plan was to film my character travelling to Southend from Grays. The c2c rail service wouldn't allow me to film at the train station so i improvised and found two locations which look similar and filmed there portraying that it was the same area. I think the impact of this didn't affect me as much as i thought due to the fact that it looks like the same area and people that have watched my video haven't mentioned a sudden location change. Therefore i think it was a success. 

I learnt a lot from this production, i learnt how to edit and operate a camera i wasn't used to. I also learnt that i can improvise with lack of equipment. When using the camera i fount that some shots i originally planned wouldn't work and didn't look as planned. I also experimented with camera shots and found what worked and what didn't. 

Next time i create a music video i will improve by taking more cut away shots. This way i won't be restricted when editing. Next time i plan to take shots of scenery to add incase there are gaps to fill when editing. I will also make sure my camera settings are set properly before filming so i don't get any effects/filters that aren't wanted. I finished filming then i had 15 minutes to return the camera back to South Essex College. If i filmed cut aways I would of run out of time. So next time i will film earlier and plan how long to spend ay each location. 

No comments:

Post a Comment